Happy Birthday Michigan! Established on January 26, 1837, Michigan turned 185 this year!
“This is FUN!” Peyton exclaimed with a large smile. It’s always fun to have a birthday party … especially to celebrate 185 years old! Third grade had a great time celebrating Michigan’s Birthday this past month.
Third graders focus on Michigan history throughout the year for their social studies curriculum. They learn about
- Michigan’s geography and natural resources
- The events that lead to Michigan’s statehood on January 26, 1837
- The people who live in our beautiful state prior to us
- The Pledge of Allegiance to the Michigan flag
- How counties and cities were named
- The basics of Michigan’s government and the branches of government
- Some shipwrecks
- Capitol building in East Lansing (with a visit to the Capitol)
- Major changes to physical features of Michigan (ie: The Mighty Mac)
- And much, much, more!
Happy Birthday, Michigan!