We Are One Body in Christ
Forming Saints to Serve All
Artist John McCoy has completed the digital version of the new Saint Art for the entryway a the middle school campus. He will now begin transferring his vision to canvas.
At the center of the piece we see The Blessed Sacrament with St Jude, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, St Isidore and St Alphonsus on either side.
As All Saints Academy we wanted to include a number of other Saints to represent the entire Body of Christ. Students and ASA staff were given an opportunity to suggest additional Saints for the artwork. Ultimately we landed on 8 additional Saints who both exemplify ASA’s Core Values and who were commonly mentioned by community members.
Our additional Saint exemplars of Faith, Learning, Loving, Serving are:
- Cecilia - The patroness of musician
- Sebastian - Patron of athletes and soldiers
- Albert the Great - A Doctor of the Church and a “Universal thinker” whose interests included science, ethics, logic, philosophy, psychology, theology and demonstrates the pursuit of truth
- Joan of Arc - Defender of faith, and an example of both contemplation and action
- Juan Diego - A native to Mexico and a convert, new of his encounters with Our Lady of Guadalupe caused thousands to convert to Christianity
- Kateri Tekakwitha- The first Native American to be canonized a Saint, the patroness of ecology and the environment, she is also inspiration for missionaries, those in exile and those adopted
- Elizabeth Ann Seton - First native born American Saint and founder of the nation’s first Catholic girls’ schools, Elizabeth was a prolific reader and both a wife and mother and also a religious sister and foundress of the Sisters of Charity
- Teresa of Calcutta - Foundress of the Missionaries of Charity and a modern exemplar of a life lived in loving service to others
Check out John's first video about his work so far: